Re: Updated GCC vs Clang diagnostics [Was: Switching to C++ by default in 4.8]

On Fri, Apr 13, 2012 at 9:11 AM, Ludovic Courtès
<ludovic.courtes@inria.fr> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Richard Guenther <richard.guenther@gmail.com> skribis:
>
>> And since yesterday GCC shows
>>
>> t.C:2:10: error: expected ';' after class definition
>> ?class a {}
>> ? ? ? ? ? ^
>> t.C:6:1: error: expected ';' after struct definition
>> ?}
>> ?^
>>
>> as we now enabled -fdiagnostics-show-caret by default.
>
> How important is it to have it enabled by default, since editors/IDEs
> would typically jump right at the source location?

I do not know.  Some people ask for it; some people don't want to it.
I personally have no opinion which way should be default.

There is some repeat here.  Over 13 years ago, people were screaming
to have line wrapping by default -- because the diagnostic
messages related to templates were just too long and too awful.
I implemented line wrapping for g++ and made it the default.  Then people
screamed to take it off, and much of the effort has been essentially
to replace it.
Things evolve and we do expect them to evolve.  I would not be surprised
if  in 5 years, would scream to have fonts, boxes and glides in diagnostics :-)

-- Gaby