Re: RFC: -Wall by default

On Thu, Apr 05, 2012 at 03:28:54PM +0300, Michael Veksler wrote:
> On 04/05/2012 02:45 PM, Eric Botcazou wrote:
> >I personally don't buy the "can't remember" argument. When you use
> >GCC, you just have to remember -g, -O, -W and that's pretty much
> >it.

> Many of the students don't know of -Wall because they don't read the
> gcc manual,
> either because they are overwhelmed with assignments and exams, or because
> they are intimidated by big manuals written in technical English.
> Either way, many
> won't use -Wall unless they are told to.
>
> My conclusion: it would be much better for beginners to have more
> warnings turned on.

A possible solution might be to permit our spec file to turn on -Wall by default (it is probably possible today, or easily patchable) and more importantly to document how to customize the spec file to make -Wall by default.

But I do agree that newbies need -Wall even more than others, but don't know about it.

Cheers