Re: RFC: -Wall by default

On Thu, Apr 5, 2012 at 4:36 AM, Richard Guenther
<richard.guenther@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 5, 2012 at 6:21 AM, Gabriel Dos Reis
> <gdr@integrable-solutions.net> wrote:

>>> But it does seem to come out of a few anecdotal requests
>>> for a change,
>>
>> It does appear very disturbing that you would dismiss repeated
>> requests on the basis that they are anecdotal without offering
>> evidence. ?What is more, we seem to have implemented a feature
>> that makes it even more intimidating for potential users to fill
>> out such requests.
>
> Well, fact is that we of course do not get any requests reading
> "Please keep -Wall not enabled by default".

If you try to submit a request about -Wall, you get a real time search
that shows related requests and how they had been dismissed
(in my opinion too summarily).  That has a dissuading effect to filing
another request of the same type.  So, you might come to the conclusion
you do not get enough, but because you have a system in place to dissuade
such request.  It is a system for self-fulfulling prophecy.

> I think if we would
> they would outnumber the requests for the opposite.

I don't know about that :-)