Re: Switching to C++ by default in 4.8

On Apr 3, 2012, at 7:37 PM, Diego Novillo wrote:

> We would like to start the process to make GCC 4.8 build in C++ mode by default.
>
> The mechanics of the change are simple enough.  I volunteer to test changing the default on all primary targets (assuming I can get them from the GCC build farm).

Is it already possible to build stage1 with c++ ?

The VMS targets are not yet ready with build in C++ mode.  This target is somewhat special because it can be built only with a cross-compiler (we don't support regular 3 stages native builds because there is no complete and working well enough UNIX emulation tools).

I started to build g++ (and gfortran) for ia64 and alpha VMS in order to prepare this transition, but having a soft path would be better to me.

(Clearly VMS is not a blocking target for the GCC community - that's not the point).

Tristan.