Re: Configure-time testing for GCC plugins to determine C vs C++? (Was Re: status of GCC & C++)

On Mon, 2012-03-26 at 17:07 +0000, Joseph S. Myers wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Mar 2012, David Malcolm wrote:
>
> > Presumably a fix would be for the plugin's configuration phase to have a
> > test that tries to build a test plugin and run it, first building with a
> > C compiler, then a C++ compiler, and decides what compiler the real
> > plugin should be built with accordingly.
>
> We've previously discussed providing some generic configure / build
> support for plugins (standard autoconf macros intended for use in a
> plugin's build system, for example).  If in future plugins are supported
> on Windows hosts (or any other hosts that lack a -rdynamic equivalent)
> then such generic support will be increasingly useful because of the need
> to link plugins on such hosts against a shared library or libraries that
> contain most of GCC.

I suppose now is a bad time to mention that my python plugin *doesn't*
use autoconf for its configure script - I didn't want to use m4 given
that python is available.  I'm sure I'll figure something out though.