Re: GCC 5 & modularity

On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 10:24:54AM -0500, Gabriel Dos Reis wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 10:03 AM, Basile Starynkevitch
> <basile@starynkevitch.net> wrote:
>
> > Sorry people, we don't have any established list of named modules. I see
> > nowhere a list of one or two dozens of modules with for each of them:
> >
> > ?* a name
> >
> > ?* short description in one or two sentences
> >
> > ?* the entire set of files or directories implementing that module
> >
> > ?* the API of that module (perhaps as a public header file, with the strong
> > ? ?requirement that internal functions should be declared in a private header
> > ? ?file)
>

> You appear to have a better understanding of what a module in GCC should be.
> Would you mind leading the pack by sending patches for evaluation and review?
> I am afraid an abstract lecture would not be enough.

I am not sure what you expect from me. As I said many times, I have not a
global understanding of GCC (the "global reviewers" have a much better
global understanding than I do). So I cannot propose or initiate a list of
modules.

Or do you want me to just propose a documentation patch with a canvas or
frame for other poeple to fill?

I would be happy to help, but please understand that my understanding of GCC
is restricted to gengtype, ggc, and some parts of the middle-end. I know
nothing about the vast rest of the GCC compiler.

Cheers.