Re: gcc-4.6.3 ICE

On Wed, 21 Mar 2012, Dennis Clarke wrote:

>     What I find interesting is why we see an internal compiler error
> as opposed to something more reasonable when the user stack size is
> too small. Really, this is not a compiler fault at all but a user
> environment issue and thus the ICE is a false alarm.

I suppose we could use sigaltstack where available and a signal handler to
detect stack overflow on suitable hosts to give a better message.

It ought to be possible to use -fsplit-stack to avoid stack overflow - it
would be interesting to know if that works (if GCC is built with
-fsplit-stack, and linked with gold, on a host for which this is properly
supported) and how it affects GCC's performance.

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com