This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: gcc-4.6.3 ICE
- From: "Joseph S. Myers" <joseph at codesourcery dot com>
- To: Dennis Clarke <dclarke at blastwave dot org>
- Cc: Jonathan Wakely <jwakely dot gcc at gmail dot com>, gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org
- Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2012 13:58:46 +0000 (UTC)
- Subject: Re: gcc-4.6.3 ICE
- References: <firstname.lastname@example.org>
On Wed, 21 Mar 2012, Dennis Clarke wrote:
> What I find interesting is why we see an internal compiler error
> as opposed to something more reasonable when the user stack size is
> too small. Really, this is not a compiler fault at all but a user
> environment issue and thus the ICE is a false alarm.
I suppose we could use sigaltstack where available and a signal handler to
detect stack overflow on suitable hosts to give a better message.
It ought to be possible to use -fsplit-stack to avoid stack overflow - it
would be interesting to know if that works (if GCC is built with
-fsplit-stack, and linked with gold, on a host for which this is properly
supported) and how it affects GCC's performance.
Joseph S. Myers