Re: pr52543

Ian is certainly correct.

I think that the question is really bigger than finding the correct line to fix. The problem is, that this code assumes that machines do not have multiword moves or multiword shifts. My machine has both, and i assume that the avr and the neon have at least multiword moves (but i do not know about the shifts). And as life moves forward, more machines will have these.

It seems like the right way to fix this is to somehow enhance the code at the beginning of decompose_multiword_subregs to ask which modes are not cheap to move or shift and then modify the second loop to never lower for those operations for those modes.

The question is do i add 2 more target hooks (one for shifting and one for moves) or do i use the rtx_cost mechanism and split for anything over COSTS_N_INSNS (1) or some such?

Kenny