Re: Prototype libatomic

One of the things I want to make sure is that the library can be easily extended in a generic way (ie not target dependant) as needs change. Ie, initiually we are simply guaranteeing atomic operations and fall back to a lock.

I expect in the not too distant future other sorts of guarantees may be desired, such as various forms of forward progress guarantees to replace the spin locks, and It'd be nice to have a TM version of the library as well, so when hardware is available we can make good use of it.

That sort of thing :-)

Perhaps those can fall into the config directory as well? ie config/TM or config/forwardprogress? or would that fall in place better as new files the libatomic directory (or new subdirectories) and using any new info enabled from the various config/target directories....

Andrew