Re: Building gcc on Ubuntu 11.10

Ian Lance Taylor <iant@google.com> writes:
> Nenad Vukicevic <nenad@intrepid.com> writes:

>> Has anybody tried to build 4.7 on Ubuntu 11.10 system. I am getting the
>> following linking problem (no special configure switches):
>>
>> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find crt1.o: No such file or directory
>> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find crti.o: No such file or directory
>> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lgcc
>> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lgcc_s
>>
>> Noramly they under /usr/lib64, but 11.10 has them under
>> /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu.

> Yes.  Debian moved everything for some reason.

The reason, for the record, is because Debian wants to be able to support
multiarch with more than two architectures.  The /lib32 vs. /lib64
distinction doesn't allow one to use the same underlying machinery to
easily install, say, armel library and development packages because you're
doing development in a cross-compiled environment.  The general
/lib/<triplet> layout allows you to install packages from as many
different architectures as you desire.