Re: libobjc: Remove Traditional Objective-C runtime API

On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 10:34 AM, Andrew Haley <aph@redhat.com> wrote:
> On 06/07/2011 08:37 PM, Nicola Pero wrote:
>> This patch completes the removal of the public part of the
>> Traditional Objective-C runtime API from libobjc.
>>
>> From now on, the only supported API is the "Modern" API. :-)
>
> Nicola, this is causing trouble for Fedora. ÂThe Fedora maintainer has
> been advised by GNUstep upstream to switch to LLVM.

I think who ever advised this is incorrect and there are politics
reasons why they should never advised this too.  Since both GCC and
GNUStep are GNU projects they should be advising to use them.

> Do you understand what is going on? ÂWill LLVM keep the Traditional
> Objective-C runtime API? ÂOr maybe GNUstep will update their software?
> This is very perplexing.

GNUStep already has code in it to use the newer Objective-C runtime.
LLVM does not really have a runtime, there is another runtime called
libobjc2 which can be used with LLVM (and it does not include the
traditional runtime anyways).
But really you should not be switching away from GCC for GNUStep.

Thanks,
Andrew Pinski