Problems with references in documentation

Trying to document some new options/name spaces, I ran into following problem
with hyperlinking inside the document.

It's best explained with an example from documentation:

Start at

http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc/Variable-Attributes.html

and scroll to the end of the page to section "PowerPC Variable Attributes".

There is a link to "i386 Variable Attributes" written as @ref{i386 Variable
Attributes} in extend.texi that refers to @anchor{i386 Variable Attributes}.

This link targets
http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc/i386-Variable-Attributes.html#i386-Variable-Attributes
a page that does not exists and redirected to
http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc/Variable-Attributes.html#i386%20Variable%20Attributes
(%20 is blank) so that it ends up at the page top and not at the intended
target, which was
http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc/Variable-Attributes.html#i386-Variable-Attributes

Actually any link in onlinedocs looks like "page.html#page" and I could not
find a single link that points to an url like "page.html#anchor".

Is this a bug in makeinfo/texinfo? First I thought my local version is too old
but the documents online show the same: Deep links are broken and you always
start at the top of the page.

Johann