Re: GCC 4.7 compiles with llvm-gcc-4.2 but not with GCC 4.6.2

On 16 Jan 2012, at 18:01, Jonathan Wakely wrote:

>>> Do not run ./configure, see http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/InstallingGCC and
>>> http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/FAQ#configure and
>>> http://gcc.gnu.org/install/configure.html - you have to try pretty
>>> hard to avoid that tip if you read any installation docs at all.
>>
>> Too late! Actually, I ended up on
>>  http://gcc.gnu.org/svn.html
>> which does not say anything about install. Perhaps add a note.
>
> The installation docs are already linked from the front page.  Anyone
> wanting to install GCC should probably read them.

The website organization is a bit like putting airplane flaps up and gears up side by side: :-)

When looking at http://gcc.gnu.org/, there are some large links to the versions, but none for 4.7. If one goes to 4.6, it gives mirrors and SVN. So one has to remember going back to the main site and look at the stuff in tiny font to the right.

>> It is a good idea to do it from outside the directory - 'make clean' does not work.
>
> Yes, that's one of many reasons not to run ./configure. Building
> outside the source tree means you can just delete the entire build
> directory and start again.

In view of that, I would normally just remove the build and unpack again. Build without the directory is more suitable if one wants to update what has been downloaded. I have a vague memory of some other package suggesting that - perhaps it was GCC 4.6. :-)

Bison puts up snapshots at ftp://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/bison/, an alternative to those that do not need the latest bleeding-edge version.

Hans