Re: Go in gcc 4.7

Andreas Schwab <schwab@linux-m68k.org> writes:

>> I suspect that the error of using "int" is one of the reasons why
>> makecontext has been removed from POSIX.  Thought I don't know why it
>> was not replaced with a proper version.
>
> See
> <http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/009695399/functions/makecontext.html#tag_03_356_08>
> for the rationale.

Thanks.  This says pretty clearly that the functions are being removed
from the standard for technical reasons and they expect systems to
continue to provide them.

It also says "It was felt inventing new ISO C standard-compatible
interfaces that describe what can be done with the XSH, Issue 5
functions and then converting applications to use them would cause more
difficulty than just converting applications that use them to use
threads instead."  That simply makes no sense.  Threads are not a
replacement for coroutines, they are something different.

Ian