Re: C++ ABI RFC [was Re: C++/libiberty PATCH for many mangling fixes (6057, 48051, 50855, 51322, etc)]

On Thu, 12 Jan 2012, Benjamin Kosnik wrote:

> I think a compelling case could be made to ship 4.7 with a
> configure-time flag that sets the default C++ dialect to C++11.

I think that's a bad idea; having too many ways to configure things will
cause undue confusion.  But if someone really wants that and really knows
what they are doing, it may be possible for them to do something with
--with-specs.

(C deliberately has not been moved to gnu99 as default because we don't
have a -Wc90-c99-compat or similar option to warn about things different
between C90 and C99, so anyone using -pedantic to warn about things
outside C90 wouldn't be able just to use -pedantic -Wc90-c99-compat with a
gnu99 default, they'd have to set the standard back to gnu89 as well.
Given such an option - which should generate warnings, not pedwarns, for
the cases that are presently pedwarn-if-pedantic-if-C90 (and a few other
cases), changing the default to gnu99 would make sense - in Stage 1.)

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com