Re: Go in gcc 4.7

Dennis Clarke <dclarke@blastwave.org> writes:

> The Go 1 release will be available in source and binary form for at least
> these platforms:
>
>         FreeBSD 7+: amd64, 386
>         Linux 2.6+: amd64, 386, arm
>         OS X (Snow Leopard + Lion): amd64, 386
>         Windows (2000 + later): amd64, 386
>
> Therefore not on Solaris 10 or even a baseline Solaris 8 at all.
>
> That seems to be an issue given this :
>
>     People should be able to write Go programs and expect
>     that they will continue to compile and run without
>     change, on a timescale of years.
>
> In keeping with the spirit of that vision what are the issues that block a
> port to Solaris today? Are there specific bugids I can look at ?

There are two different Go compilers.  The list of systems on which the
Go release will be available is for the other Go compiler, not gccgo.
The gccgo compiler will be part of gcc releases as usual.  The gccgo
compiler has worked on Solaris in the past; current mainline is
reportedly not working on Solaris, but I intend to fix that if nobody
beats me to it.

The other Go compiler has not been ported to Solaris.  There is no major
obstacle; somebody just had to do the work.  The ports to FreeBSD and
Windows were contributed from outside the core Go team, and I hope that
someday somebody will contribute a Solaris port as well.

> Re "go" for Solaris I see this :
>
>     http://code.google.com/p/gofrontend/issues/detail?id=6
>
> Not sure what the status in the mainline is but I am willing to do a checkout
> and build and see what goes wrong. I have 4.6.2 well done on Sparc Solaris 8
> and that seems like a good place to start.

That problem is fixed on mainline though not on the gccgo branch.

If you are interested in working on gccgo on Solaris, which I think
would be great, please work on mainline, not 4.6.  Mainline is
significantly different.  Also Rainer Orth <ro@cebitec.uni-bielefeld.de>
has done a great deal of work on Go on Solaris.

Ian