Re: Suspicion of regression in uninitialized value detection

Miles Bader <miles@gnu.org> writes:

> Robert Dewar <dewar@adacore.com> writes:
>> The worst thing for me about -O1 is arguments disappearing in the trace
>> back, that's really a deal breaker.
>
> Wasn't Alexandre Oliva's "VTA" work supposed to help this kind of
> thing...?  Did that ever get merged?

It did get merged.  My sense from using it is that before VTA, debugging
optimized code would sometimes show the wrong value for a function
argument.  With VTA, the debugger is much more reliable about reporting
that it does not know the value of a function argument.  So while this
is clearly an incremental improvement, I haven't noticed that gcc and
gdb have gotten much better at actually knowing the value.

Ian