Re: volatile correctness: combine vs. target.md

On 02/12/2011 13:59, Andrew Haley wrote:
On Fri, Dec 2, 2011 at 5:46 AM,<Paul_Koning@dell.com> wrote:

It's never correct to exchange volatile accesses.

That's not true. volatile accesses to different memory locations have no special dependence. If it happens that GCC doesn't do this kind of things then this is only because most passes don't thouch volatile stmts at all (thus the reports for sub-optimal code with volatile - we don't even try to do legal transformations).

I'm confused. Do you mean that in Volatile int *a, *b; Int j, k; J = *a; k = *b; it is ok to fetch *b before *a? I can't think of any device driver writer who would expect that.