Re: wish: generation of type annotation for C++11 code.

On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 10:12 AM, Jonathan Wakely <jwakely.gcc@gmail.com> wrote:

> Adding this to GCC seems like a total waste of time, write a dwarf
> processor that dumps the info you want.

Agreed.

I suspect there is a misunderstanding of what 'auto' means in C++.
Furthermore, I think the step is completely backward.  One of the
important reason of the C++ approach to implicit template instantiation
is that most of the time (in real programs), it is precisely because the
actual types used to instantiate a template are unbearable to write
or their precise nature is almost useless -- as you correctly pointed
out, it may (and usually does) involve implementation defined types, like
the actual type of an iterator, or a cryptic debug type, or some cryptic
internal lambda type names.  The knowledge of which is probably far
more confusing then helpful.