Re: # of unexpected failures 768 ?

> Rainer Orth <ro@CeBiTec.Uni-Bielefeld.DE> writes:
>
>> Ian Lance Taylor <iant@google.com> writes:

>>> I'm not sure why you don't believe it.  It is what I would expect.
>>>
>>> If we want to make this work more normally for ordinary users, I think
>>> the right thing to do would be to patch config.guess to compute a
>>> better
>>> value for the build system CPU on Solaris systems.
>>
>> Please no: alpha went this route, and the consequence is that your
>> self-built gcc will generate code for the build system.  This breaks
>> completely if you have a heterogeneous collection of systems, and the
>> GCC build system isn't the least common denominator of them.  This
>> single-system mindset creates unnecessary trouble in this scenario.
>> GCC's configure has enough control over the default target CPU, even
>> without messing with config.guess, and most other programs won't care
>> about this at all.
>
> Oh, I completely agree that it would be wrong to have config.guess
> produce the exact CPU used on the build system.
>
> But having config.guess produce "i386" for an OS which does not even run
> on a vanilla i386 is also wrong.  A much better choice here would be the
> earliest CPU value which the OS actually supports.

$ isalist -v
pentium_pro+mmx pentium_pro pentium+mmx pentium i486 i386 i86

I would suggest pentium_pro if one can still find one running out there.

Dennis

http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=vindex&search=0x1D936C72FA35B44B
| Dennis Clarke           | Solaris and Linux and Open Source |
| dclarke@blastwave.org   | Respect for open standards.       |