Re: # of unexpected failures 768 ?

Ian Lance Taylor <iant@google.com> writes:

> Michael Haubenwallner <michael.haubenwallner@salomon.at> writes:
>
>> But still: given that x86-solaris started with some Pentium, I just
>> can't believe gcc can "optimize" for real 80386 CPU on Solaris now.
>>
>> Especially as i386 (from config.guess) is the default too.
>
> I'm not sure why you don't believe it.  It is what I would expect.
>
> If we want to make this work more normally for ordinary users, I think
> the right thing to do would be to patch config.guess to compute a better
> value for the build system CPU on Solaris systems.

Please no: alpha went this route, and the consequence is that your
self-built gcc will generate code for the build system.  This breaks
completely if you have a heterogeneous collection of systems, and the
GCC build system isn't the least common denominator of them.  This
single-system mindset creates unnecessary trouble in this scenario.
GCC's configure has enough control over the default target CPU, even
without messing with config.guess, and most other programs won't care
about this at all.

	Rainer

Rainer Orth, Center for Biotechnology, Bielefeld University