Re: adding destroyable objects into Ggc

Basile Starynkevitch <basile@starynkevitch.net> writes:

> I would like to add destroyable objects into Ggc (the GCC garbage collector, see files
> gcc/ggc*.[ch]).

I think this type of thing is conventionally called a "finalizer".

I'm ambivalent leaning to negative to adding this feature to the gcc
garbage collector.  In the long run I would like to use the gcc garbage
collector less and less.  I believe that we can use C++ smart pointers
to move in that direction.  I understand that you want to take advantage
of the gcc garbage collector for the MELT plugin.  However, in my ideal
world you should be planning for the MELT plugin to take over garbage
collection entirely, rather than relying on gcc's garbage collector.

Ian