Re: Merging gdc (GNU D Compiler) into gcc

Iain Buclaw <ibuclaw@ubuntu.com> writes:

> The active development of the D frontend would continue to be mirrored
> in an external repository, but will occasionally be merged into GDC
> project.

Well, Go does set a precedent for this.  The main issue here is that
this means that there is (another) directory containing source code that
the gcc maintainers can't update.  This is workable if the D frontend
does not #include any gcc header files or call any gcc functions.  That
is, if it is truly standalone.  (The Go frontend is not yet in this
state, although I am slowly working toward it.)

> Some work would need to be done on naked functions at least first so
> that changes required are only to gcc/config. I would be grateful if I
> could get pointed in the right direction for implementing naked as a
> function attribute for i386 so all frontends could benefit.

Needs a target hook in target.def and a new attribute probably in
c-family/c-common.c.  The new attribute would check the target hook to
see whether the backend supports it.

>> The D runtime appears to be in a subdirectory of gcc/d. ÂOrdinarily we
>> would prefer that it be in a separate toplevel directory, e.g.,
>> libdruntime.
>>

> The set-up build script that is provided with the gdc development
> folder makes symlinks from gcc/d/ to a libphobos toplevel directory.

That is kind of awkward, though--why not just set up libphobos in the
first place?  I understand this may require two directories to be
mirrored.

> First question that pops up after having a quick look is, are there
> any tips around for writing the scripts for the testsuite? I'm not too
> familiar with Dejagnu, and the current testsuite used for GDC D2
> development is written in make.

DejaGNU is too horrible for me to talk about.  I can't recommend
anything other than blind copying of existing scripts.

Ian