[pph] Merge from trunk rev 177573.

This merge brings in Gab's trunk changes to line_map and my
refactoring of the streaming code.  It also allows us to
use C++ for the implementation (with the same caveats we have in
trunk, the code must be ifdef'd to build with both C and C++
compilers).

I will continue the next phase of the streaming refactoring in
branch.  This way, I will have a better idea of what hooks we
need and what hooks can go.  Once I have the separate cache
implemented, I will forward port the next stage of the
refactoring to trunk.

Tested on x86_64.

Diego.