IRA vs CANNOT_CHANGE_MODE_CLASS, + 4.7 IRA regressions?

Consider this bit of code:

extern double a[20];

double test1 (int n)
{
  double accum = 0.0;
  int i;

  for (i=0; i<n; i++) { accum -= a[i]; }
  accum = fabs (accum);
  return accum;
}

which is compiled for MIPS using

mipsisa32r2-sde-elf-gcc -O3 -fno-inline -fno-unroll-loops -march=74kf1_1 -S abstest.c

With a GCC 4.6 compiler, this produces:
.L3:
	mtc1	$3,$f2
	ldc1	$f0,0($5)
	addiu	$5,$5,8
	mtc1	$2,$f3
	sub.d	$f2,$f2,$f0
	mfc1	$3,$f2
	bne	$5,$4,.L3
	mfc1	$2,$f3

	ext	$5,$2,0,31
	move	$4,$3
.L2:
	mtc1	$4,$f0
	j	$31
	mtc1	$5,$f1

This is terrible code, with all that pointless register-shuffling inside the loop -- what's gone wrong? Well, the bit-twiddling expansion of "fabs" produced by optabs.c uses subreg expressions, and on MIPS CANNOT_CHANGE_MODE_CLASS disallows use of FP registers for integer operations. And, when IRA sees that, it decides it cannot alloc "accum" to a FP reg at all, even if it obviously makes sense to put it there for the rest of its lifetime.

On mainline trunk, things are even worse as it's spilling to memory, not just shuffling between registers:

.L3:
	ldc1	$f0,0($2)
	addiu	$2,$2,8
	sub.d	$f2,$f2,$f0
	bne	$2,$3,.L3
	sdc1	$f2,0($sp)

	lw	$2,0($sp)
	ext	$3,$2,0,31
	lw	$2,4($sp)
.L2:
	sw	$2,4($sp)
	sw	$3,0($sp)
	lw	$3,4($sp)
	lw	$2,0($sp)
	addiu	$sp,$sp,8
	mtc1	$3,$f0
	j	$31
	mtc1	$2,$f1

I've been experimenting with a patch to the MIPS backend to add define_insn_and_split patterns for floating-point abs -- the idea is to attach some constraints to the insns to tell IRA it needs a GP reg for these operations, so it can apply its usual cost analysis and reload logic instead of giving up. Then the split to introduce the subreg expansion happens after reload when we already have the right register class. This seems to work well enough on 4.6; for this particular example, I'm getting:

.L3:
	ldc1	$f2,0($2)
	addiu	$2,$2,8
	bne	$2,$4,.L3
	sub.d	$f0,$f0,$f2

	mfc1	$2,$f1
	ext	$2,$2,0,31
	j	$31
	mtc1	$2,$f1

However, same patch on mainline is still giving spills to memory. :-(

So, here's my question. Is it worthwhile for me to continue this approach of trying to make the MIPS backend smarter? Or is the way IRA deals with CANNOT_CHANGE_MODE_CLASS fundamentally broken and in need of fixing in a target-inspecific way? And/or is there some other regression in IRA on mainline that's causing it to spill to memory when it didn't used to in 4.6?

BTW, the unary "neg" operator has the same problem as "abs" on MIPS; can't use the hardware instruction because it does the wrong thing with NaNs, and can't twiddle the sign bit directly in a FP register. With both abs/neg now generating unnecessary memory spills, this seems like a fairly important performance regression....

-Sandra