Re: Wrong code: missing input reload

On 06/01/2011 06:06 PM, Georg-Johann Lay wrote:

> From the internals description, HARD_FRAME_POINTER_REGNUM appears to
> serve different purpose, and sources indicate that it is used similar,
> i.e. per regno == HARD_FRAME_POINTER_REGNUM instead if having a rtx or
> reg_class and test for overlaps.

Yes, but the difference is that if you define things this way, you can
use HARD_FRAME_POINTER_REGNUM as a fairly normal register, as it appears
only during IRA/reload. FRAME_POINTER_REGNUM however only occurs before
(and during..) reload, and you can treat it specially since it isn't a
real hard register.

> Do you know of a target where the frame pointer spans several
> word_mode registers?

No, I think you're pretty unique there. So you may still run into some
problems, but I think on the whole this setup would be worth a try.

Bernd