Re: customizable warnings with a GCC plugin

On Fri, 29 Apr 2011 16:25:39 +0200
David Brown <david@westcontrol.com> wrote:
[...]
I am skipping interesting parts of David reply (I might reply to them later)

> For the longer term, it would be good if there were a way to use this
> with windows (and without installing all of cygwin).  I know these
> things are /much/ easier on Linux, but gcc is getting increasingly
> popular on windows.  I work as an embedded programmer, and steadily more
> embedded systems are programmed using gcc - often on windows hosts.

The major issue is to have GCC plugins working on Windows (and, when
that happens, to adapt existing plugins, including melt.so, to work
under Windows). I know nothing about the subject, but Levine's book on
linkers & loaders makes me believe it might not be fun.

I (Basile) personally don't care at all about Windows, since I never
used it (and my first program was, in 1974 - I was a 14 years old
teenager then - in PL/1 on punched cards, so I am not a very young
Linux fan boy), and probably I will never code for it. The last
Microsoft system I used on my PC was some MS-DOS thing. The DEBUG
debugger was not very sexy at that time. Microsoft products don't left
a good impression in my aging human memory!

All the [i386 or AMD64] PCs I had or have (both at work and at home) are
running Linux. I am a Linux enthusiast since kernel 0.99.15 (that was
an SLS distribution on more than 50? floppies) - and GCC was 1.x IIRC
at that time.

I don't know if some people are working today on adapting the current
GCC plugin machinery to Windows. I've seen no patch about this (and I
don't care much).

Maybe some future version of Windows might run under Linux :-) :-)

Regards.
*** opinions {are only mine, sont seulement les miennes} ***