Re: GCC Optimisation, Part 0: Introduction

On Fri, Apr 29, 2011 at 09:24, Dimitrios Apostolou <jimis@gmx.net> wrote:
> Thank you all for your ideas, they are much appreciated. I will certainly
> investigate into the areas you mentioned, so do keep the feedback coming. I
> will certainly comment on them, once I have a better understanding. And I'd
> like to get in sync with existing work, so that duplicate effort is avoided
> (for example I'm already researching on finding an alternative hash function
> to replace htab_hash_string(), I don't know if Nicola has done that).
>
> But for now I will be reading some tutorial slides I found from HiPEAC and
> CGO conferences, so that I understand GCC's architecture. Slides are good
> but are missing many things, so if you have video/audio transcripts of
> tutorials they would come in handy.

I don't think there are any such transcripts, sorry.  I remember one
year they had video going for the GCC summit, but I don't think they
were ever released.

> It is also a priority to standardise the way of measuring gcc's speed (which
> files to compile with what options), and dedicate some old machinery to that
> purpose. Perhaps this has already been done, and I can use existing setups?
> I found the following very useful pages:
>
> http://gcc.opensuse.org/
> http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/PerformanceTesting

Both are useful.  My recommendation is to decide on a set of programs
that you will use as your build timing benchmark and operate on those.
 A good source of code may be a big project like KDE or OpenOffice.

> On another note, I can see that a similar project was accepted for 2007
> GSOC, titled as "Speeding up GCC for fun and profit". Where can I find more
> info?

I don't know what came of that, actually.  Eric?

> Finally I'd appreciate any guidelines regarding submitting patches for
> review or development in general. For example is "diff -u" the proper format
> to use, or should I include Changelog diff in all patches, or should they
> all be sent to gcc-patches list even if the patch is initial version just
> for reviewing, etc.

You should follow the guidelines in http://gcc.gnu.org/contribute.html.

The very first one is a copyright assignment.  Have you started that
process?  If not, I will send you the form.

Diego.