Re: Give me advice on GSoC OpenMP

From: Jakub Jelinek <jakub@redhat.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2011 17:43:57 +0200

> Subject: Re: Give me advice on GSoC OpenMP
> From: Jakub Jelinek <jakub@redhat.com>
> To: Sho Nakatani <dev.laysakura@gmail.com>
> Cc: gcc@gcc.gnu.org, antoniu.pop@mines-paristech.fr
> Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2011 17:43:57 +0200
> Received-SPF: pass (google.com: domain of jakub@redhat.com designates 209.132.183.28 as permitted sender) client-ip=209.132.183.28;
>
> On Wed, Apr 06, 2011 at 12:40:21AM +0900, Sho Nakatani wrote:
>> Thanks a lot for your kind advice.
>> Then my latest plan is:
>> - Learn other implementations (as Antoniu said)
>> - Learn Mercurium implementation
>> - Implement the same/similar feature as Mercurium in libgomp/ ,
>>   then evaluate it
>>   (This is the goal for GSoC project)
>>
>> However, I currently know nothing about Mercurium.
>> (Of course I'll read the documentation of Mercurium from now on)
>> Does Mercurium implement both `tied task' and `untied task'?
>> Should my goal be implementing both of them?
>
> Given that the paper Antoniu referenced speaks about it
> being the testbed for the paper, I guess so.  I think they
> implement untied tasks using some library they wrote,
> but all I did was download it and skim it for a couple of minutes.
>
> Anyway, I think more important is the first goal, improve scheduling
> of tied tasks, those are the default ones and probably most people
> will use just those.  Only when you are done with that it would be IMHO

OK. I've completely got my plan for GSoC!

1. Learn other implementations (as Antoniu said)
2. Learn Mercurium implementation

(1. and 2. would be done concurrently ;-) )

3. Implement the Mercurium `tied task' feature in libgomp/ ,
   then evaluate it
4. Implement the Mercurium `untied task' feature in libgomp/ ,
   then evaluate it
(4. is optional)

I'll write my proposal tomorrow (since it is 1:00 a.m. in Japan).
I'll ask you check it. If you have a time, please examine it.
Thanks,

--
Sho Nakatani