Re: Give me advice on GSoC OpenMP

On Wed, Apr 06, 2011 at 12:16:13AM +0900, Sho Nakatani wrote:
> OK. I'll do it as soon as possible.
> Then, my current plan is:
> - Learn other implementations (as Antoniu said)
> - Learn Mercurium implementation
> - Implement the same/similar feature as Mercurium in libgomp/ ,
>   then evaluate it
>   (This might be the first goal)
> - Implement Lazy Task Creation for `untied task' in libgomp/ ,
>   then evaluate it
>   (If I could reach the first goal)

This would depend on implementing untied tasks, which is quite questionable
thing and can be badly expensive too (while tied tasks can (and do currently)
run on containing thread's stack, untied tasks need to have their own stacks
and there needs to be a way to switch in between them, for which either
you can use *context family of functions (deprecated, but could work
at least on some targets), or come up with something target specific).

>From Mercurium you probably don't need to study the actual C to C compiler,
maybe just quickly what it generates for tasks, but primarily their runtime
library.

> Is this plan OK?

Yeah (just that the last step depends on implementing untied tasks,
you can certainly try to implement that (preferrably with minimal
overhead for the default tied task model), but I guess that would take
quite a lot of time to write and test it.

	Jakub