Re: Target library disabling at toplevel

> Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2011 19:51:38 +0000 (UTC)
> From: "Joseph S. Myers" <joseph@codesourcery.com>

> Why do a great many targets disable libgcj by default in the toplevel
> configure.ac?

Maybe because the right way, through unsupported_languages,
never caught on and there never was a global conversion? :-)

> Where GCC provides a runtime library for a given language, I'd think the
> compiler isn't particularly useful without the library - and so if the
> compiler is built for that language, an attempt should be made to build
> the library, with a build failure if it isn't supported.

Agreed, the library/language issue is why I added that variable
<http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/2005-06/msg00543.html>. :-)

>  (And why (CC to maintainer) do some

The archives are open, I had to search it myself, having forgot
all about this.

> CRIS

A closer inspection will show that it's only the subtarget
cris-*-aout.  IIRC support for this target was removed for GCC,
it'd probably be a good idea to do the same here at the
top-level for the other projects (newlib, binutils, gdb).  (For
the record, generating cris-aout output should still be possible
through cris-elf-objcopy.)

> and MMIX targets list Fortran in unsupported languages?  I didn't
> think the Fortran libraries had any porting issues, unlike Java and Go and
> Ada.)

For MMIX, the issues I mentioned at
<http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/2004-11/msg00572.html> are
presumably fixed, but pragmatically the interest level for
fortran on MMIX is ...undetectable.  (Prove me wrong: I
challenge anyone to send gcc-testresults@ with it enabled and
the mmixware simulator installed.)  So, for the time being I'm
not prepared to add that as something that is expected to be
maintained.

brgds, H-P