Re: Can You Put Comments Into GCC Compiler Options Files?

"Craig Dedo" <craig@ctdedo.com> writes:

> ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ I would like to start using the GNU Compiler Collection (GCC), particularly
> GFortran. Given the number of compiler and linker options that there are, it makes a lot
> of sense to put the commonly used compiler options into an options file.
>
> ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ I read the description of the @file options file on page 28 of the manual,
> Using the GNU Compiler Collection 4.6.0. However, I could not find any information on
> whether comments are allowed in options files and, if so, how comments are designated so
> that the compiler does not attempt to treat them as compiler or linker options.
>
> ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ Please let me know whether or not programmers can put comments into compiler
> options files. If so, please let me know how to designate comments.

or fortran@gcc.gnu.org.  Please take any followups only to
gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org.  In the future, please avoid cross-posting to both
gcc@gcc.gnu.org and gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org.  Thanks.

No comments are permitted in the contents of options files read using
the @file syntax.  The contents of the file are simply interpreted as
command line arguments separated by whitespace.  Double quotes, single
quotes, and backslashes may be used in the usual way to add whitespace
to arguments.

Ian