Re: Target deprecations for 4.6

On Tue, 15 Feb 2011, Douglas B Rupp wrote:

> > There are four different target configuration headers used for Interix
> > (i386/i386-interix.h i386/i386-interix3.h interix.h interix3.h).  Since
> > there's only one Interix target present in GCC, the abstraction implied by
> > four headers - some of which override macros defined in each other, meaning
> > some macro definitions are effectively dead - is rather bogus.  I advise
> > combining these four headers into one so that it is more readily possible to
> > see what target configuration actually ends up being in effect for this
> > target.
>
> Agreed. Fyi the subsystem variants supported by MS are 32bit and 64bit x86 and
> 64bit ia64.  I don't the see much point in putting work into an ia64 Interix
> compiler at this time.  But maybe two headers for x86: 32 and 64bit, if it
> makes sense to have them split out.

I'd think that ideally you'd want one configuration that works with both
-m32 and -m64 (so the only difference between i686-interix and
x86_64-interix is which is the default), though I don't know how practical
that is.

Anyway, as long as only one Interix version is supported by GCC the
distinction between "Interix" and "Interix 3" headers is meaningless.

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com