Re: Bumping DATESTAMP

On Feb  3, 2011, Gerald Pfeifer <gerald@pfeifer.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 2 Feb 2011, Dongsheng Song wrote:

>> +BRANCHES=`svnlook -r ${REV} dirs-changed "${REPOS}" \

> Do we really need to worry about more than branch being hit in one
> commit?  I wasn't aware that SVN supports this, but I guess it's
> defensive programming. :-)

SVN doesn't even know what a branch is, that's left up for conventions
in the versioned filesystem that svn exposes.  It's perfectly ok to
check out the root of the filesystem, containing trunk, branch/* etc,
make whatever changes you want and commit them all at the same time.
SVN couldn't care less, so our scripts that implement the conventions we
set may have to.

>> +  if ! svn commit -m "Daily bump." gcc/DATESTAMP; then
>> +    # If we could not commit the files, indicate failure.
>> +    RESULT=1
>> +  fi

> Can we also issue an error message here?

I'm a bit concerned that changing gcc/DATESTAMP in a post-commit hook
might make subsequent commits in a âgit svn dcommitâ pack to fail.  That
would be unfortunate, though not a show-stopper, but I figured I'd point
it out in case this hadn't been taken into account.