Re: RFD: hookizing BITS_PER_UNIT in tree optimizers / frontends

On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 09:17, Richard Guenther
<richard.guenther@gmail.com> wrote:

> And we don't want to pay the overhead of hookization every target
> dependent constant just for the odd guys who want multi-target
> compilers that have those constants differing.

I would like to know how much this overhead really amounts to.  Long
term, I would like to see back ends become shared objects that can be
selected with a -fbackend=... flag or some such.  Removing
configure/compile-time macros and other hardwired data is instrumental
to that.

Diego.