Re: PATCH RFA: Do not build java by default

Hi,

On Thu, 18 Nov 2010, Jeff Law wrote:

> > I think that it should still be the case that if you break Java, and
> > one of the Java testers catches you, you still have an obligation to
> > fix the problem.  All we're changing is whether you build Java by
> > default; nothing else.
>
> Agreed.  I'd really like to see java removed from the default languages;
> I just don't see the cost vs benefit justifies keeping java in the
> default languages.

I'd like to reiterate a request from the summit that is related to the
default languages discussion: Add Ada to the default languages in exchange
for java+libjava.  It builds nicely parallel (and fairly quick), doesn't
have a ghastly large runtime library, and tests a huge number of
middle-end paths taken by no other language.

At the summit not many people were in favor of that, but I can't think of
any logical reason for that.

(Of course it would be only added to the default languages if a host Ada
compiler is already pre-existing.  I.e. we wouldn't add more
requirements.)

Ciao,
Michael.