Re: Mailing lists for back-end development?

On 16/11/2010 17:29, Mark Mitchell wrote:
> I spoke with a partner today who suggested that perhaps it would be a
> bit easier to follow the voluminous GCC mailing list if we had separate

  (Do you mean "the voluminous gcc-patches mailing list" perhaps?)

> lists for patches related to particular back-ends (e.g., ARM, MIPS,
> Power, SuperH, x86, etc.).

  I think it's probably an over-engineered solution to a problem we could
really address best by remembering to use []-tags in the subject lines.  If
usenet taught us anything, it's that you can't solve real problems just by
renaming (or subdividing) groups.  I think it would also be more-or-less
counter-productive; as all the back-ends share a common interface, I think
most backend maintainers need to keep an eye on what's going on with other
backends anyway, even when not directly involved.  So I think we'd all just
end up subscribed to a dozen-plus mailing lists instead of one and still have
pretty much the same amount of incoming mail to sift through anyway.  That
being so, doing it at our clients by filtering on tags makes as much sense as
anything else.

    cheers,
      DaveK