Re: gcov for assembly

Dear Ravi,

On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 11:56:33AM +0530, ravi s wrote:
> > ÂIs there a way to get the assembly code coverage just like we have it for source code like C/C++/Fortran ?
> > Â-fprofile-arcs -ftest-coverage doesn't seem to work with assembly (*.S) files.

Iirc the gcc approach is instrumenting the basic blocks *before* assembly
generation. Nonetheless, the data format evaluated by gcov could also
be generated by instrumentation of assembly. At least some people
had academically experimented into that direction (Fei Xun,
Luo Lei, 2004, "Implementation of assembler program
coverage testing with GNU tool", Computer Applications,
ISSN 1001-9801, e.g.
 http://en.cnki.com.cn/Article_en/CJFDTOTAL-JSJY200412033.htm ).

hth,

--