Re: Merging Apple's Objective-C 2.0 compiler changes

On Sat, Sep 11, 2010 at 06:17:47PM -0400, Richard Kenner wrote:
> > > It's my understanding that FSF legal department has consistently refused
> > > to answer such questions as this.
> >
> > Do you have a quote for that, please?
>
> How do you quote somebody who DOESN'T answer?
>
> The FSF has consistently refused to answer questions of the form "if I did
> XYZ, would it violate the GPL?"  And I agree with that policy.
>
> (Note that this doesn't mean that the FSF doesn't have opinions about
> what maintainers of GNU software should do, but those are matters of
> POLICY, not saying "if you don't do that, you'll violate the GPL".)

   Alternatively, perhaps Apple could clarify their own license file to
clearly indicate that they do not prohibit their GPLv2 code from being
relicensed as GPLv3-only code. After all, this doesn't really change
the licensing status of Apple's changes in their gcc sources as they stay
at GPLv2.
                        Jack
ps What examples are there of projects with GPLv3 licenses which aren't
GPLv3 only (and allow code to be relicensed back as GPLv2)?