Re: Merging Apple's Objective-C 2.0 compiler changes

On Sep 10, 2010, at 7:51 PM, Richard Kenner wrote:
> I disagree.  The copyright holder has decided that they want people to
> (among other things) allow people to distribute under GPLv2.  We can't
> take that away without the permission of that holder.

Well, the words on their distribution say exactly this:

  GCC is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under
  the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free
  Software Foundation; either version 2, or (at your option) any later
  version.

That means, we at our option can choose to release under GPL v3, exclusively, if we wanted.  Also, if there were a v4, we could release it under that exclusively, if we wanted.  Further, would could release it under v3 or v4 at our option.  Further, by induction, we could release it exclusively under v3 or later.  Anyway, if you disagree, let's just leave it there, as this is already off-topic (gnu.misc.discuss if people want to continue discussions).