Re: Merging Apple's Objective-C 2.0 compiler changes

On 10 September 2010 15:25, Jack Howarth <howarth@bromo.med.uc.edu> wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 03:09:02PM +0200, Manuel López-Ibáñez wrote:
>> On 10 September 2010 14:40, Richard Kenner <kenner@vlsi1.ultra.nyu.edu> wrote:
>> >
>> > But if this were done, then it would be trivial to have proprietary
>> > front ends, back ends, and optimizers. ?So RMS never allowed any such
>> > thing nor any scheme that resulted in having any file that could be
>> > used for such a purpose.
>>
>> As far as I know, you can currently plug GCC FEs to a proprietary LLVM
>> middle-end using llvm-gcc. It is not a possibility but a reality (read
>> the proceedings of the LLVM meetings). Just no one cares, because (a)
>> the result is not publicly distributed (only internally or for
>> research purposes) and (b) there is zero interest on
>> contributing/integrating any code back to GCC from both sides.
>
> Huh? The dragon-egg gcc plugin to access llvm has been pubicly available
> since llvm 2.7...

I am not talking about the plugin. Plugins must be GPL. But the
dragon-egg plugin does not make LLVM to fall under the GPL, nor any of
the proprietary work that builds upon LLVM. Those are the ones I was
referring to.

Sorry if I didn't explain myself properly. I hope it is clear now.

Cheers,

Manuel.