Re: Merging Apple's Objective-C 2.0 compiler changes

On 10 September 2010 11:42, Richard Guenther <richard.guenther@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 11:38 AM, Steven Bosscher <stevenb.gcc@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Not that I want to discourage anyone. Just practical considerations...
>> ;-) ?I can't believe I'm saing this but: It may be better to spend
>> some effort on making clang work as a GCC front end.
>
> Oh, indeed - I'd welcome patches making "frontend plugins" possible
> and plugging clang.

I wonder what would actually be needed to implement this? Since clang
keeps around more information than GCC's FEs.  New plugin hooks? I
don't think you need FE plugins but a LLVM->GIMPLE converter plug to
the gimplifier.

Is adding code to GCC to handle LLVM intermediate language acceptable?

Cheers,

Manuel.