Re: End of GCC 4.6 Stage 1: October 27, 2010

On 9/5/2010 11:23 AM, NightStrike wrote:

>> It's not so much a matter of "checking off".  It's a combination of the
>> SC's perception of the importance of the target and the technical stats
>> of the port.  I can raise the issue with the SC, if you like, but,
>> personally, I'm not sure that 64-bit Windows is significant enough as a
>> target platform for GCC to merit that status.
>
> Ouch.  What criteria do you use for that analysis?

I can't say what criteria the SC uses; I don't know what basis other SC
members use to decide.

I use my own instincts (which, I admit, is not a scientific basis) for
deciding.  I spend much of my life talking to various stakeholders in
GCC, and so I have a reasonable feel for where people are presently
using GCC, and where they would like to use it.  Thus far, I've
certainly heard of some interest in 64-bit Windows, but nowhere near as
much as 32-bit Windows or Cygwin.

I certainly don't mind raising the issue, if you want me to do that; I'm
happy to carry messages to the SC independent of my own opinions.

--
Mark Mitchell
CodeSourcery