Problems with upstream versions of gmp, mpfr, and mpc [Was: Bug in Build System of gcc-4.5.1? Cannot Find libmpc.so.2]

[ Redirect to gcc.  This is a dev issue. ]

On 08/27/2010 10:39 PM, Tom Browder wrote:
>> On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 09:17, Andrew Haley <aph@redhat.com> wrote:
>>> However, just running download_prerequisites is, IMVHO, the only sane way
>>> to do it.
>
> That's the solution I used, and I got a good build--thanks for the tip, Andrew.
>
> I think what we have here is a gcc dependence on specific versions of
> gmp, mpfr, and mpc--more than is indicated in the installation
> instructions.  I have used later versions of all of them and they
> cause interdependency problems of all sorts with later rerequisites.

I'm very sceptical about "or any later version" instructions when
building the gcc prerequisites.  In practice this can never be certain
to work, because the upstream maintainers of these tools can change
them in ways that break gcc.

Somehow, we need to keep an eye on these issues so that if a new
version of a library changes in a way that breaks the gcc build we
notice.  But I don't think we have any mechanism to do that at
present.

Andrew.