Re: nobits for named section

"Bingfeng Mei" <bmei@broadcom.com> writes:

> I came across an issue regarding named section and nobits. In
> the following example, I expected the c is placed is placed
> in a section named .smemdata and nobits is set for the section
> since "c" is initialized to zeros.
>
> int a = 0;
>
> int b = 2000 * 512;
> static int c[(200 * 512)] __attribute__((section(".smemdata")));
>
> void foo()
> {
>    c[0] = 0;
> }
>
> Using both trunk x86_64 and arm-elf compilers, I found .smemdata
> has progbits flag instead of nobits. Is this a bug?

I don't think I would call it a bug; it's more like a feature which has
not been implemented.  gcc would have to record for each user defined
section whether there are any variables initialized to non-zero values.
It currently does not do that.  Using SHT_PROGBITS always works, though
I understand it is not ideal for your scenario.

Ian