Re: Bizarre GCC problem - how do I debug it?

Hi Richard,

On Fri, Aug 6, 2010 at 11:43 AM, Richard Guenther
<richard.guenther@gmail.com> wrote:
> The gdb version on openSUSE that ship with GCC 4.5 is perfectly fine
> (it's 7.1 based). ?No idea what the reporter is talking about (we don't ship
> insight IIRC).

You are remembering correctly.  I was not clear enough.  I use Insight
and Insight
is tightly bound to a particular version of GDB.  Since Insight is not
distributed or
supported by openSuSE, this is not an openSuSE issue.  This is an Insight issue
(for having fallen behind, though it is understandable...) and it is a
GDB (and? GCC)
issue *because* the _failure_mode_is_too_confusing_.  GDB/GCC should
be coordinating
so that GDB looks at the binary and says, "I do not understand the
debug information".
Instead, GDB believes that there are no newline characters in the
input.  Is that a
GDB issue or a GCC issue?  I cannot say.  What I can say is that the
hapless user
should be able to read an error message and know what the problem is.

This does not tell me:

>  (gdb) b done_check
>  Breakpoint 5 at 0x40af44: file /usr/include/gmp.h, line 1661.

Thank you everyone.  Regards, Bruce