Re: GFDL/GPL issues

Jeff Law wrote:

Isn't one of the specific instances of this issue the desire to copy some of the constraints information from the source, which would need to go into the user manual rather than internals documentation?

And in some cases a function index with documentation may be precisely what the end-user needs -- think runtime libraries.

These cases both seem to fall within the four-test fair use guidlines to me, and I can't imagine any of the relevant copyright holders seeing otherwise.

What's concerning is how much time we've got to spend discussing this kind of issue rather than getting real work done, all due to a license that is insanely controversial.

I would not worry about that, people like to spend time on this kind of discussion, or they would not do it :-)