installing with minimal sudo

Hello All,

Is there some trick so that the GCC trunk (or a branch like MELT) is
built under some user (e.g. basile) and is installed (in the
usual /usr/local prefix, which is writable by root, not by ordinary
users on most Linux systems)

My concrete need is the following
after a
  make
and a
  sudo make install
I sometimes have a few root-owned files in the build directory.
(eg  ./gcc/b-header-vars or ./gcc/b-header-vars). I would like to avoid
that if possible (and I confess that the MELT branch Makefile.in are not
very good: I am bad at Makefile.in hacking).

Perhaps a make install INSTALL='sudo install' could be enough, but I
tend to remember I have tried that more than a year ago without success.
Or is there a mean to pass INSTALL='sudo install' at configure time?

How do you build & install GCC (trunk or some other branch) without
having any root owned files in the build directory?

Trying a lot of times a "make distclean && make install" is a very time
consuming process that I hate doing.

How do distributions makers achieve that??  IIRC they have a strict rule
that no compilation or build should run under root!

Practical advices welcome.

Cheers.

PS. On Debian, the make-kpkg command has a --rootcmd=sudo option. I am
trying to imagine the equivalent for GCC.  Of course on my machine sudo
don't ask any password.