Re: Patch pinging

On Sun, Jun 27, 2010 at 3:45 PM, Manuel López-Ibáñez
<lopezibanez@gmail.com> wrote:

> I do believe that it is odd that one of the most important
> free-software projects in terms of widespread use, a free-software
> project that has a technical quality comparable and often superior to
> the closed-source counterparts, is still using a bugzilla version that
> reached end-of-life more than 2 years ago.
>
> I didn't feel that was right to ask for volunteers again to do
> something, when there have been volunteers and they have been ignored.
> It is true that frustration does not justify an outburst, specially
> since I am not volunteering anymore.
>
> Your last two sentences are definitely right. I don't have anything
> else new to propose. It is a difficult situation. Good luck. Sorry for
> the noise.

Manuel,

As you mention, GCC is one of the most important Free Software
projects.  We rely on the infrastructure, like Bugzilla and
Subversion.  While we appreciate someone volunteering to upgrade the
infrastructure, that someone needs to be experienced and
knowledgeable.  It would not help the project to have a failed
conversion or partial conversion or a lack of future support.  The
current infrastructure may be old, but it works and the system
administrators are able to keep it running.

I do not know what happened in the past with your previous offer.  I
am sorry that you are unable to help now.  Not only do we need a
volunteer, but we need a volunteer with realistic goals that the
leaders of the project have confidence in and one who shows
perseverance.

Thanks, David