Re: Deprecating ARM FPA support

Martin Guy wrote:

> For
> ARM boards without mainline Linux support whose manufacturers' kernel
> ports predates 2.6.16, it is mandatory, as is also is for users who
> just want to compile code for a given existing system that happens not
> to be running a recent kernel and userspace.

But what are the chances that GCC 4.7 (the first release in which FPA
would actually be removed, and probably not released until about two
years from now) is actually useful on this system?  It's very unlikely
that GCC 4.7 will successfully compile the 2.6.16 kernel, or, I would
expect, a lot of userspace applications.

My feeling is that it makes sense to deprecate this now, which allows us
in the 4.7 cycle to decide whether or not to remove the functionality.
If we decide then that it's still needed, we can always keep it.  But,
if we don't deprecate it now, then our policy is that we can't remove it.

--
Mark Mitchell
CodeSourcery